We recently hosted one of our biggest Academy’s at St Peter’s College in Johannesburg, where we welcomed girls from all over Gauteng to improve their hockey knowledge and skills. We were joined by SA Hockey icons Louise de Jager, Shelley Jones (Russell), Sulette Damons and Kara-Lee Stella who passionately shared their expertise with upcoming players.
If you play hockey and haven’t attended our courses, here are five reasons why you should:
- Life skills. Hockey teaches so many skills needed later on in life, such as mental toughness, leadership, teamwork, strategic thinking, and so much more. All of these aspects are covered in our courses, enabling players to grow and develop through their love for sport.
- Hockey-specific skills. Regardless of what team you play for or how many games you win, there is always something to be learnt in the world of hockey. Everyone has a different way of looking at the game and not every coach understands it from your point of view. Our coaches, SA Hockey players and coaches, have all experienced the tactical and technical training needed to play at an international level and have had to create their own methods of staying up-to-date with the game – here you are bound to find a like-minded, inspiring role model.
- Each Academy is open to an entire province of hockey players, meaning that you are likely to meet new friends with the same passion for hockey as you.
- Behind-the-scenes knowledge. It’s not just about what you do on the field that gets you noticed – becoming a good hockey player involves a dedication to training and proper nutrition. We offer players a chance to learn about what it takes to be a professional sportswoman – from injury prevention and recovery, nutrition to mental toughness ahead of a game.
- Goal setting. It’s hard not to dream big when surrounded by professional hockey players. While it is important to dream, it is even more important to set smaller goals within your school team or even to improve a particular skill. Our coaches will help you figure out your goals and prepare you with things to practice ensuring you achieve them.
Here’s a taste of what you can experience when attending one of our courses: